Manchester Metrolink Second City Crossing
Client: Amey/United Utilities.
Project Description/Main Operations:
- Diversion of and replacement of numerous sewers to accommodate the line of the new Metrolink tram across Manchester city centre.
- Construction of various sewers and manholes by conventional open-cut techniques.
- Construction of 14 no. segmental shafts, up to 5.00m in diameter.
- Completion works to above, including reinforced concrete bases, benching, backdrops and precast concrete roof slabs.
- Construction of a 1520mm dia. precast concrete segmental tunnel approx. 50m in length, using a specifically fabricated tunnelling shield.
- Construction of approx. 80m of timbered headings in various locations.